Buy frozen fruits and vegetables!
- Frozen fruits and veggies contain much of the same nutrients as fresh fruits and vegetables. They can be used to eat plain, or fun to add into a smoothie and other delicious snacks!
No freezer space? Think about buying canned fruits and vegetables to stock up at home.
- Canned foods are relatively cheaper, shelf-stable and last a long time.
- Helpful Hint: soak canned fruits and vegetables before consuming as they usually contain salt/syrups
- Helpful Hint: Canned beans are also a great option as they can be a good base for meals and are packed with fiber and protein
Buy grains in bulk
- Pasta, rice and any other family favorite grains will last in your cabinets for a long time!
- Helpful Hint: it’s best to eat whole grains because of the added fiber they contain, but if this is not something your family is into, then use whatever products they will eat! There are more creative and fun ways to add additional fiber to these dishes as well; such as loading them with yummy vegetables, beans, or other fiber-filled ingredients!
Stock up on nuts and seeds!
- Not only do these last a long time on shelf, but they are a good/healthy snack, and can added to salads or other dishes.
Dried herbs can be a good pantry item
- They last much longer than fresh herbs and add nice flavor to any dish.